whole patient • whole community • whole planet
There’s a big picture mentality at Monroe Street Family Dental. We understand how important dental health is to whole body health and believe that preventative care is more than just flossing and brushing. We believe that what's good and healthy for the individual is often good for the community and the planet and visa versa. As long-term members of the Eco Dentistry Association and Sustain Dane we are constantly learning and discussing ways to improve our practice to help support complete health for our patients, staff and our planet.
A Green Day at
Dr. Farrow gives a tour of our office and outlines practices that are good for patients and the environment.
Our Commitment to the Environment
has guided everything we do
We found a location in the middle of a neighborhood we wanted to serve. We dreamed of our patients walking from their homes, riding their bikes or taking the bus to the dentist. During construction we took every reasonable effort to conserve resources and today our practice is set up to use environmentally friendly methods and materials wherever possible, while minimizing waste and energy.
Our Green Initiatives
During construction, we used:
- Recycled construction waste
- Reclaimed products—pillars, doors, furniture, and terrazzo floors
- Low VOC cabinetry, adhesives, and paints
- Flooring made from sustainable products—Marmoleum, recycled carpet
- High quality, refurbished dental office equipment
As part of our every day operation, we use:
- A waterless vacuum—saves 1 gallon of water per minute!
- An amalgam separator—eliminates mercury from waste water
- Low-flow faucets and low-water usage toilets—16,500 gallons saved per year
- Waterless alcohol hand sanitizer—saves paper towels and water
- Digital radiographs—no chemicals for processing or paper filing
- Steam sterilization—no chemicals
- Paperless charting
- Reusable dental products (vs. disposable) with minimal packaging
- Non-toxic cleaning products—disinfectants, detergents, cleaning products
- Implemented an employee “Reduce, Reuse, Recycle Program” including all reusable flatware and stoneware
- Participate in Energy Conservation
- Selected Energy Star appliances
- Installed fluorescent, motion sensor-activated lights
- Purchase renewable energy from MG&E
- Maximize the use of natural light
- Improve fresh air intake on programmable heating and cooling system
- Employ Smart Patient Products
- Distribute minimal handouts and then only those made from recycled paper products
- Purchase toothbrushes made from recycled yogurt containers
- Stock our waiting area with children's toys made responsibly with recycled and renewable products
Making a Difference
Patients Can Help
Monroe Street Family Dental asks patients to help our green efforts. In our restroom, you'll find reusable towels instead of paper ones. We give patients Preserve toothbrushes made from recycled materials. These toothbrushes come in minimal packaging that can be reused as postage-paid packaging once your toothbrush is past it's useful life, making it easy for you to return it where it will be reused again. And instead of printing out receipts that will find their way to the bottom of your bag, we'll email them to you and keep only the electronic copy ourselves.